The House That Ruined My Family

by Michelle
(Belhaven, NC USA)

In 1995, when I was 18, I bought a house with my boyfriend 5 months before we got married. I was always a very healthy person and never got sick often, and my boyfriend was a very sweet, easy going, quiet person who was thoughtful and never raised his voice in anger or used foul language. He was always full of life, "on the go" I should say, and very active in our church. We were married in 1996 and moved in the house a week later after our honeymoon.

A month later I developed asthma and kept getting colds. The next year I developed high blood pressure, the next year I developed diabetes. My husband who was always "on the go" slept every chance he got, and when he was home he always stayed outside in the shop until it got dark, then he would come in and sleep anywhere... example... sleeping on the floor and using the wood coffee table foot as a pillow.

Four year later in 1999 I had my first child. He was always sick and weak. He threw up every day for no reason for the first 3 years of his life. I took him to many doctors and they could never give me a reason for it.

When he was 16 months old is when the first weird thing happened. I was giving him a bath, and all of a sudden he started screaming and pointing behind me saying "not hurt mama" over and over. I turned around and nothing was there but he kept on until I took him out the bath. About 15 minutes later a toy he had came on by itself in the hall. I picked that toy up and threw it in the yard.

Over the years more things started to happen. The TV would cut on by itself with no one in the room. My hair dryer that was not plugged up would come on.

One morning right before dawn, I opened my eyes and there was a figure beside my bed. I can only describe it as television static with color in it. I was paralyzed with fear and could not move or speak, so in my mind I asked the Lord to have me over and over and it finally wasn't there anymore.

When my little boy was 5, he was in his room one night and started screaming. I ran in his room and he was hysterical. I finally got him calmed down enough where he told me he heard a voice telling him to do awful things to me. I got my Bible and read a few verses and asked the Lord for help and the voice stopped.

He started seeing things. He woke up one morning and told me there was a white figure standing by his window. He would scream out for no reason saying he saw someone walk down the hall.

In 2006 I had my second child. She was vibrant, sweet and beautiful as a picture. When she was 9 months old she started screaming in the middle of the night, two or three times a week. I would run in her room and she would just point at the closet and scream and would not stop till I removed her from the room.

The next year my husband took my children to church on a Wednesday night. I was alone in the kitchen doing the dishes. I had a window in front of my sink and it was dark outside. We had two dogs, one was 12 and the other was 6. They started barking so I looked up from the dishes, and in the window I saw a woman with long hair walk across the kitchen behind me. I turned around and no one was there. My oldest dog could barely walk, but when I opened up the door to get out, she ran out of the house like she was a puppy. I was scared to go back inside, my dogs were trembling on the back porch with me, I didn't know what to do. I finally took out my cell phone and asked one of my friends to bring me a Bible. I went back in the house and when to every corner, every window, every door facing, even in the attack saying prayers holding my bible.

My husband would never believe any of it, mostly because he was always asleep and I could never wake him up. My husband and I, who was always loving, thoughtful, soft spoken deacon in church, one night were having a conversation on the couch and all of a sudden he grabbed my arm and bit it and it instantly turned into a bruise. I asked him after he did it why and he said he didn't know why he did such a thing. Then a few weeks later he started to lash out at me with foul language, or get upset and slap my leg or arm. It got so bad that I said "maybe the devil has a hold on you", and he looked me in the eyes and said, "I know he does."

A month later I was laying in my bed one afternoon, and I heard someone whisper my name loudly in my ear. I kept getting bacterial infections that I would keep for weeks and kept a UTI infection for 21 days, the infection medications I was given just wouldn't work.

My son started to become withdrawn, he started being picked on at school. My daughter started becoming hard to handle.

Two month later I found out my husband was cheating on me. I let him stay because I had such small children. A year later he started cheating on that woman with another. The first woman called me crying saying he was "cheating on us", so I made him get out and we separated.

My children lived there for two more years. The first year I realized there was something wrong with my throat and neck. My throat burned and my neck would tighten and pull when I layed down. My ex husband took me off his insurance before he was suppose to so I waited 8 months to be looked.

December of 2011 I was foreclosed on. January of 2011 I was diagnosed with a rare cancer located in my throat and neck.

Not too long after we was forced to leave I found out that the people who owned the house before we bought it had a son and a daughter. The man cheated on his wife and his wife was always sick. They got divorced and the house was foreclosed on.

I do not have asthma anymore. My diabetes is all but disappeared, and I've been cancer free since October of 2012. My son is doing wonderful in school and my little girl is the sweetest thing that ever was. I don't know if it was the house or not, but I can say we are very happy to be out of there.

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to True Scary Stories.

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.